Stoneleigh-Burnham School is the result of the merger of five girls’ schools, dating back to 1869 with the Prospect Hill School of Greenfield, Massachusetts. Our mission then was “to prepare girls for the rigors of a college education.” Today our focus remains the same.
1869 – Prospect Hill School is founded in Greenfield, Massachusetts by Reverend John Farwell Moors.
1877 – The Classical School for Girls is founded in Northampton, Massachusetts by Bessie Talbot Capen and Mary A. Burnham. The founders are encouraged by then President of Smith College, Laurenus Clarke Seelye to provide young women with a better preparation for entrance into Smith College.
1885 – The Classical School for Girls is renamed the Mary A. Burnham School, in honor of founder Mary A. Burnham.
1909 – The Elmhurst School is founded in Connersville, Indiana by Isabel Cressler and Carloline Sumner, also at the urging of Laurenus Clarke Seelye.
1926 – Elmhurst School relocates to a larger campus in Rye, New Hampshire and is renamed the Stoneleigh School for Girls.
1930 – The Stoneleigh School for Girls merges with Prospect Hill School forming Stoneleigh-Prospect Hill School on what is today the Stoneleigh-Burnham School campus.
1968 – Stoneleigh-Prospect Hill merges with the Mary A. Burnham School to form Stoneleigh-Burnham School.